OT - gramma and other yummy obscurities

Aimee Smith s4028253 at student.uq.edu.au
Tue Oct 26 08:11:55 EDT 2004

Wow! Someone apart from my family who knows what Gramma is! My Nanna used to
make this, sweet and pulpy on the bottom and topped with inches-thick cake
topping on top, cooked golden. Yum indeed, third only of Nanna's desserts to
grape pie (the same, but with stewed (purple) grapes instead of gramma) and
then - beauty of beauties - apple dumplings (they are green apples, sugar,
cinnamon, nutmeg, etc, wrapped in squares of pastry and baked).
*floats away on a blissful cloud of memory*
I still make dumplings. They are still my favourite.
*Another* thing few else seems to have heard of are yams (sort of like a
grey sweet potato, only nicer). Simply the best vegetable ever created (in
my oppinion), it's right up there with onions, and tastes even better when
cooked (fried/baked/boiled) and smothered with butter. Hot or cold, though
hot is better.)
We also had stewed rhubarb :) ; lemon sago :( ; and lemon butter with scotch
fingers :).
Aimee.