OT - non-dairy pumkin pie

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Mon Oct 25 13:27:49 EDT 2004

For our ladies who can't even stir the coffee with a milky spoon - and I
think that you could probably modify this for other flavors besides punkin...
     Devra, always interested in food
The pie filling in this recipe needs to set overnight in the
refrigerator, so make it the day before you serve it.

Crust:
1/2 cup unbleached flour
7 Tbs. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp. salt
 tsp. sugar or granulated sugar cane syrup (see glossary)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 Tbs. canola oil

Filling:
3 Tbs. soymilk plus 1/2tsp. lemon juice or buttermilk
3 to 4 Tbs. water
2 cups canned pumpkin or pureed home-cooked fresh pumpkin
1 cup low-fat soymilk, rice milk or almond milk
1/2 cup honey or 3/4 cup granulated sugar cane syrup (to taste)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 Tbs. dark molasses or to taste
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground allspice

I got this from my cooks' list, so I haven't tried it myself.  You don't
really need to make the crust, if you can buy non-dairy crusts in the supermarket.
 Also, some of the amounts might need a little tinkering...  I would guess
that the lemon in the soymilk is to make it sour (hence the suggestion to use
buttermilk...) Then I'd guess that you just combine all the other ingredients
(notice that there are no eggs either....)
       Devra

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com
devra at aol.com