OT Books query

Abe Gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Fri Oct 8 09:58:49 EDT 2004

Re: OT Books query

  Ros:

        Has anyone yet read _The Star of Kazan_ by Eva Ibbotson or _The Golem's Eye_ by Jonathan Stroud (sequel to _The Amulet of Samarkand_ )?

        I haven't, but I just saw both of these in the bookshops and wondered if the Stroud book was as good as its predecessor, and what this particluar Ibbotson was like.

  I haven't read _The Golem's Eye_  yet, but have read _The Star of Kazan_.  It surprised me at first, as I'd only read Ibbotson's children's fantasies up until then, and it's not that kind of fantasy.  I really enjoyed it - loved the atmospheric early 20th century Vienna setting (and the German part also), and thought the characters were wonderful.  You have to be prepared for an almost fairy-tale or possibly older children's books style though - but I don't want to explain that too much as it might spoil things.

  Don't know if Philip's read it yet and can add an opinion?

  Hallie.

  Thanks, Hallie. It looked like a book I'd enjoy and what you say seems to confirm my impression.

  Ros