OT Books query

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Oct 8 07:45:33 EDT 2004

Ros:

>Has anyone yet read _The Star of Kazan_ by Eva Ibbotson or _The
>Golem's Eye_ by Jonathan Stroud (sequel to _The Amulet of Samarkand_
>)?
>
>I haven't, but I just saw both of these in the bookshops and
>wondered if the Stroud book was as good as its predecessor, and what
>this particluar Ibbotson was like.

I haven't read _The Golem's Eye_  yet, but have read _The Star of
Kazan_.  It surprised me at first, as I'd only read Ibbotson's
children's fantasies up until then, and it's not that kind of
fantasy.  I really enjoyed it - loved the atmospheric early 20th
century Vienna setting (and the German part also), and thought the
characters were wonderful.  You have to be prepared for an almost
fairy-tale or possibly older children's books style though - but I
don't want to explain that too much as it might spoil things.

Don't know if Philip's read it yet and can add an opinion?

Hallie.