Guy Gavriel Kay

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 16:35:03 EDT 2004

--- Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 15:38:08 +0200, Gili Bar-Hillel
> wrote:
>
> >I've just had lunch with Guy Gavriel Kay, and that
> humiliating moment came
> >when I had to admit I've never read any of his
> books. He was so utterly
> >charming that I so wanted to say "I've read your
> books and they're
> >wonderful", but actually I haven't, so I didn't.
> I'm told they're excellent
> >and should be read. Is anyone on this list familiar
> with them? Which should
> >I start with?
>
> I'm not a big fan of his books, but mostly because
> they are overwhelming to
> me.  My favorites are the Sarantine Mosaic
> books--_Sailing to Byzantium_ and
> _Lord of Emperors_.  (The protagonist is a perfect
> romance novel hero,
> though it's not obvious because this isn't a romance
> novel.)

He's an author who is getting better, although I
haven't read his newest book. The Fionvar trilogy was
OK, and I haven't read Tigana, but I have liked Song
for Arbone, Lions of Al Rassan and especially the
Sarentine books. I found the protagonist in these very
interesting, an artist who only picks up a sword once
in the two books, and is then thankful he doesn't have
to use it. I'd certainly recommend him.

Jon