Howl translation

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Mon Oct 4 09:09:23 EDT 2004

Aimee wrote:

>Congratulations! What fun.
>Is there anything that strikes you as might be hard to translate? Any bits
>you're especially looking forward to?

What nice questions! Well yes, I think the trickiest bit in the book will be
working around John Donne's "Song". I've actually tried my hand at
translating "Song" seperately, and I think it's a pretty reasonable
translation on its own, but I'm not sure how it will "interact" with the
book. In the book, everyone is guessing what the poem is about, with quite a
bit of misunderstanding ("it's about a submarine"). I'll probably have to
invent new ways to misunderstand the poem that will go with the Hebrew; but
I can't change the plot. The trickiest bits are also the bits I most look
forward too, because they're like a puzzle or game.