Guy Gavriel Kay

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 3 17:30:01 EDT 2004

> >I started with his first trilogy, "The Fionavar Tapestry" - the first book
> >is "The Summer Tree".  It's a relatively standard "bunch of people from our
> >world go to fantasy world and save it from Ultimate Evil" series, but it
> >draws heavily (and fairly knowledgeably) on the same sources Tolkien used
> >without being very Tolkien-esque.  I still reread it from time to time.
>
>Wasn't he the person who helped Christopher Tolkien get the Silmarillion
>into shape for publication?  That might explain being familiar with the
>Tolkienesque but not inclined to copy it.

I have to say that I found his work extremely derivative, of both Tolkien
and the sources, so I don'[t think I would agree with the "not inclined to
copy it" comment. I generally like retellings when they are interesting and
do something different, but I found that mostly what Kay did that was
different was nastier. I've never been inclined to reread any of it.

Robyn