Places are people too?

Mon Nov 29 11:31:00 EST 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:59:02 -0600, Margaret Ball wrote:

>>We read about homes taking on a personality over time, even if
>>they're not aware, so isn't sentience just the next step?
>>

>Ooops. You mean that little voice crying "Clean me! Clean me! Pick up
>the piles of fabric!" isn't just my conscience?

I think it's the tiny people trapped under the piles, actually....

>I like the idea, though houses in Texas hardly have a chance to develop
>a personality. When people buy houses in this neighborhood, what they're
>really buying is the land...they tear down the "old" house and build a
>mansion that bulges out to the property line on both sides.

Here in Salt Lake we have a natural boundary in the mountains on the east
side.  All the growth is occurring where I live, out west, and you get a lot
of those execrable raw new developments (and a few higher-end ones that look
nice).  So you can drive from one side of the valley to the other and go
from brand-new boxy houses to old manses, none of which are the same shape.
If those houses do have personalities, it's no wonder the East side and the
West side are in a culture war.

>I can just imagine what kind of personalities those nouveau mansions are
>going to develop....spoilt rich kids, you think?

I can hear the whining now. ;)

Melissa Proffitt