new member

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Nov 24 22:38:00 EST 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 06:39:40PM -0800, Ven wrote:
> <In the Chrestomanci books, people have multiple
> lives when they only
> exist in only one world.  Christopher has 9
> lives, so there are no
> other Christophers.  Julia and Roger, it would
> seem, must also have 9
> lives, because without a Christopher to father
> them in other worlds,
> how can they exist in more than one world?  I
> didn't think they had 9
> lives- do they?  Or does my bothersome idea have
> a flaw?
> They definitely do not have 9 lives as that is
> why Cat is brought ...
> to be the next Chrestomanci.  People with 9 lives
>
> are very unusual. As
> to how they exist in the other worlds without
> Christopher to be the
> father, I suspect that is maybe just a bit of a
> plot hole. However,
> I can certainly come up with some
> rationalisations for it.>
>
> What I think is that to have nine lives it is not
> enough to have no analogues, what is needed is to
> have been one of nine analogues at birth, eight
> of which were stillborn or died shortly
> afterwards (I'm pretty sure that's stated in CL).
> This is very rare, firstly because each analogue
> is necessarily born from the matching analogue
> parents and they may not exist or if they exist
> not have gotten together in each of the worlds
> and secondly because it must be unusual for eight
> to die and one survive.

This is a good point I had not considered. I know
that Janet comments how she had a baby brother who
died or something like that.  I like the rationalization
that merely having no analogues doesn't make you a 9-lived
enchanter, but having your analogues all die very soon
after birth does.  That would fit with it being extremely
unusual.

Allison