this is gonna be weird

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Mon Nov 22 16:04:00 EST 2004

>It's like Little Matty
>Groves, another version of which I was told as a child by a woman in
>Corbridge; it helps to know that [a] Matty had been her lover before he
>went off to the wars and was Missing In Action Presumed Dead [2] she was
>pregnant when he left, and [3] there were two Lords Donal, father (who
>killed her) and son (who had married her because he was Matty's best friend
>and she was in trouble).

My gosh. That's enough for a novel, not for a ballad!

About the selkie poem - Yes, I've got it, but only in a book, and I
haven't the energy to type fourteen pages of extremely dialectical
English. If you'll send me your snailmail address, though, I'll be happy
to copy the thing and mail it to you. It's called "The Play o' The
Lathie Odivere."  Lathie means Lady....and it gets worse from there on <g>

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com

Mathematicians are like Frenchmen; whatever you say to them they translate into their own language and forthwith it is something entirely different.

                                        -Goethe