this is gonna be weird

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Nov 22 07:31:53 EST 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> It's like Little Matty Groves, another version of which I was told as a
> child by a woman in Corbridge; it helps to know that [a] Matty had been
> her lover before he went off to the wars and was Missing In Action
> Presumed Dead [2] she was pregnant when he left, and [3] there were two
> Lords Donal, father (who killed her) and son (who had married her
> because he was Matty's best friend and she was in trouble).

Oh, interesting. Of course, the version of Little Matty Groves I know is
the drastically shortened, talked version on Frank Hayes's album "Never
Set the Cat on Fire," and has things like "and now we come to the portion
where they get undressed. All forty-seven verses of it." Reciting the
Frank Hayes version is one of my parlor tricks, although I haven't done it
in years now.