this is gonna be weird

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Sun Nov 21 23:54:29 EST 2004

In a message dated 11/21/04 7:09:37 PM Central Standard Time, Minnow writes:

> I find it hard to imagine T.H. White sitting
> reading TBoD in his fastness and his forties, though I suppose he might
> have done.  Is he known to have been an enthusiastic reader of books for
> children?

You really really need to read the excellent biography of White by Sylvia
Townsend Warner. White all but worshiped Masefield's _The Midnight Folk_, and
would hardly have missed _The Box of Delights_ (I can't remember what he says
about that specifically, though).

I read that biography an enormous number of times when I was in high school,
and believe it (for reasons that I have never really delved into) to be one of
the books that helped me retain my sanity.

Helen Schinske