this is gonna be weird

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 21 06:02:27 EST 2004

>From the writers' point of view I can understand wanting to find out
what
>happened next, as it were, or what might have happened if... x y or z
>instead of the original story; what I don't really get is why it should
be
>expected that anyone else is interested, or if anyone else is interested
>why they shouldn't make up their *own* "here's what happened"
rather than
>read someone else's.

You know, this left me momentarily stumped - "why *do* I read fanfic?" -
which I guess proves that even though I spend more time reading it than
writing it, I see myself primarily as a writer, not a reader.

The first thought that came up after was, "Because sometimes I just want
*more*!" And then I thought, well, it's not so different from going to
rottentomatoes.com or imdb.com and checking up all the reviews of the films
I've just seen. I already know my *own* thoughts, opinions and fantasies,
but it's still interesting to compare it with someone else's, go "this one I
agree with, this one is on crack, this one makes an interesting point I
hadn't previously thought of."

And fanfiction has one upside compared with reviews: you can have several
that contradict each other. If a reviewer has two reviews of the same story
and they contradict each other, then the reviewer is sloppy or wishy-washy,
and as a reader you're forced to choose: is *this* reviewer right or *that*
one? But a ficcer can take the same episode and change it into five
different stories, pair the same character together with five others, etc.
Sure, sometimes a story is so "right" that it cancels out all others and may
even change the way one sees the original, but most of the time it branches
out into an alternate universe (whether the story is *actually* an alternate
universe or not).

Katta