Chronology (was this is gonna be weird)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Nov 19 21:13:44 EST 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

> Must be my (ancient) age, cause I was brought up reading TLTW&TW
> first, and might not have quite Judith's rage about it, but --
> that's still the right way to me and the numbers slapped on the
> books is more irritant than proof.

The thing about the Narnia series is that it's not just a matter of
opinion, because there's internal evidence: the narrator of TMN, for
instance, sometimes phrases things in ways that make it clear he
expects his audience to be familiar with TLTWATW.

One version of the "Lewis wanted it read in chronological order" story
I heard said that he intended to revise the books to be read in that
order; if he had done that, I would have accepted it[1] - but since he
didn't, I feel we ought to read the books as they, in their existing
versions, expect to be read.

---
[1] Maybe.

Paul