Chronology (was this is gonna be weird)

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Nov 19 17:57:35 EST 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Katarina Hjärpe wrote:

> And I'm also one of those horrid people who read the Narnia books in
> chronological order. (They work that way, though. It's funny to read LWW and
> know where the lamp post came from, and who the professor may be, and all
> that.) Funny story, first time around I only got a few chapters into the
> last book before I decided I *could not* read this (the ape made me furious)
> and so I went years without knowing how it ended...

Hang on--in the first line of yours I quoted, was "read" present tense or
past? Stupid spelling. Because, see, I firmly believe that the first time
anyone reads the Narnia books, they should be in the original order,
meaning LWW first, Horse and His Boy fifth, etc. And that's how I read
them the first time; and I was horrified when the publishers renumbered.
But whenever I read the books for a really long time, I read them in
chronological order, just because I wanted to. Unfortunately, that still
meant that Last Battle came last, and I always think I'm not going to be
able to make myself read it, and then I do, and it's not as bad as it is
in my head, but the entire concept still upsets me (um, that being the
author destroying his own world, and then saying that no! really! it's
fine! it's not destroyed! there's another world, and it's better! It makes
my non-heaven-believing self highly grumpy.)

Also, for the record, I read Charmed Life before LoCC, but that's because
the latter book hadn't come out yet (and, in fact, it's how I figured out
when I first started reading DWJ). But I think I recommend that people
read Charmed Life first, because it's not as scary on Cat's behalf if you
know that Chrestomanci is wonderful. On the other hand, LoCC is less
exciting if you know that it's silver that stops Christopher from doing
magic. ...I feel that I've said this before. I'll stop now.

Confusion will be my epitaph
as I walk a cracked and broken path
If we make it we can all sit back and laugh
but I fear that tomorrow we'll be crying.
       --King Crimson, "In the Court of the Crimson King"