thoughts on medicine in fantasy vs. history

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Nov 18 20:50:04 EST 2004

ok, so I'm scheduled to be one of the presenters of a talk on 'Medicine
in history and fantasy' at DarkoverCon.

Pushing aside my own ideas for a moment, I figured I'd ask people for
their thoughts on the subject. Yeah, I know it's a wide topic. But there
it is. From Lucy's diamond cordial in Narnia to the stock figure of the
'local herb witch' in fantasy... The medievaloid fantasy seems to be
predicated on old feminist medical history with mental powers added in,
generally. But can you think of good examples of 'people think it's like
history but it's fantasy?'

(sorry if I am incoherent and/or rambling...)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The toad beneath the harrow knows/exactly where each tooth-point goes,
The butterfly upon the road/Preaches contentment to that toad."
			- Rudyard Kipling