Places are people too?

Thu Nov 18 20:51:47 EST 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:04:12 +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:

>I did a sentient (and murderous) house once! It has its reasons.... for the
>curious, the book was called "Night Must Always Come". Then there's Anne
>McCaffrey's sentient planet Petaybee. So, DWJ's cities are Not a Problem.

One of the books that most terrified me is _The Haunting of Hill House_ by
Shirley Jackson--another malevolent, evil house.  And my favorite good
sentient place is Fiddler's Green from the Sandman books.

I think the idea of places that are self-aware makes for interesting
fiction.  We read about homes taking on a personality over time, even if
they're not aware, so isn't sentience just the next step?

Melissa Proffitt