this is gonna be weird

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Nov 17 20:23:27 EST 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

> Heh, yeah, that's part of what's giving me trouble with the idea, along with
> how the hell does someone fall in love (in that way) with a *place* in the
> first place.  I suspect that once I figure out the latter, the former may
> solve itself.
>
> Dorian.

Gosh, I'm being awfully chatty today.  But I feel like my Pulp obsession
may connect in some way to this question.  One of my favorite songs of all
time is called "Sheffield Sex City."   It has a very long introduction,
wherein Jarvis Cocker whispers the names of various Sheffield suburbs with
great seductive glee.  Then the main body of the song starts out, "The
city is a woman, bigger than any other.  Sophisticated lady, I want to be
your lover."  Other lines include "the whole city getting stiff in the
building heat," "I'm sorry, but I had to make love to all the cracks in
the pavement and the shop doorways and the puddles of rain that reflected
your face in my eyes," and "The city's out to get me, but I won't sleep
with her this evening.  Though her buildings are impressive and her
cul-de-sacs amazing, she's had too many lovers. . . ."  I don't know if
this helps you, but it seems relevant.

This morning, the headline on one of the NYC tabloids was "Sheffield Sex
Tape Extortion!"  I was really amused.  If only I knew anything about the
Sheffield in question (I believe he plays for the Yankees), I would so
totally write a filk.  The song includes the lyric, "the day didn't go too
well," which I imagine would pertain rather well.

						---Kyra