this is gonna be weird

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Nov 17 14:38:06 EST 2004

Minnow said...

> Is Brittany female?  Or alternatively, is a section of France being a
> druid?  Now *that's* a thing DWJ might find fun to play with: bits of
> countryside, personified, trying to find employment in nice respectable
> trades.  I think I'll put it to her as a suggestion for a short story.

Yes, I've been toying with an aspect of that notion for a year or so, after
seeing a graffito which read "Alison loves Carlow" (Carlow is a town and a
county here).  The writer *could* just have meant that Alison really likes
living in Carlow (or maybe would like to), but I read it as Alison loving
Carlow the way her mate Mary loves Joe.  So I have this half-assed idea for
Alison and Carlow's love story.

DWJ has sort of done something like this personification already, with
Salisbury & co. in "The Merlin Conspiracy".  But it would definitely be fun
to see her taking it further.

Dorian.