fanfic and dwj (was Re: this is gonna be weird)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Nov 17 12:19:37 EST 2004

> DWJ is a counter example.  A good book leaves spaces for your mind to
> play in, but less unresolved resolvable stuff (a modernist novel might
> leave plenty unresolved, but it won't leave spaces to make it tidy).

I disagree, somewhat. What happened to, for instance, Time City after
Tale of Time City? What happened to Milly at boarding school? What
happens after Crown of Dalemark? For that matter, what about Romilla,
and did Chrestomanci ever have to go tidy _that_ up? What exactly was
the original feud in Caprona? What happens when the Goon comes back when
Awful is grown up? And for goodness sake, what happened after
_Spellcoats_?

The really frustrating thing is that I know that Diana would write them
better than I ever could imagine, but I also know that  she will avoid
writing a number of these stories because it would just be too darn
tidy. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The toad beneath the harrow knows/exactly where each tooth-point goes,
The butterfly upon the road/Preaches contentment to that toad."
			- Rudyard Kipling