this is gonna be weird

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Nov 17 11:14:37 EST 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 04:04:30PM +0100, Belben Philip wrote:
> My tendency is towards internal chronology.  But in a lot of cases, there is
> no unique solution to the question of internal chronology.  And some series
> I had already read later books when the (internally) earlier books were
> published.
>
> I still lean that way, but many series I read simply in the order in which I
> acquire them :-)

I find that the order in which they need to be read depends largely on
the author.  Some series have a very strict order and will not make a
lot of sense if you read them out of order.  For those books, I tend to
prefer the internal chronology over the publishing chronology.

DWJ is particularly good at writing books that don't rely on you having
read the other books in the series.  The only one I think really requires
the previous books is The Crown of Dalemark.  The other three I don't
find have any required order.  I happened to read Drowned Ammet first,
so it *feels* like the first one to me.  Year of the Griffin and
Castle in the Air, while probably better read after DLoD and HMC
respectively, are fairly independent stories.  I personally love this
as it means I can expect a sequel to be a completely new story rather
than a re-hash of the previous one.

Allison