AW: Re: this is gonna be weird

Belben Philip Philip.Belben at eon-engineering.com
Wed Nov 17 10:04:30 EST 2004

Charlie, quoting Ika:

>> PS: I have now read the first two Dalemark books and am waiting for a
>> moment to report back on them before I get on to Drowned Ammett and the
>> Crown of Dalemark. Hooray!
>
> So you're reading them chronologically rather than in order of
> publication? Is that deliberate? (As a matter of fact so did I, but that
> was because I happened to find the Spellcoats first.) When you've
> finished them I'd be interested to know if you have any opinion on the
> merits of reading them in one order over another. A question that arises
> with Chrestomanci too, of course. And with Narnia. And with many another
> multi-volume series. Do people here prefer to be pragmatic and taking
> each case on its merits-ish, or are there any die-hard advocates of
> internal chronology or of publication order?

My tendency is towards internal chronology.  But in a lot of cases, there is
no unique solution to the question of internal chronology.  And some series
I had already read later books when the (internally) earlier books were
published.

I still lean that way, but many series I read simply in the order in which I
acquire them :-)

Philip.