Allsorts

Judith Ridge Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Mon Nov 15 18:38:59 EST 2004

As a result of this exchange of emails, my boss and I have been having a
rather amusing (and accidentally salacious) discussion about the alternate
spellings of licorice/liquorice/lickerish (its original spelling,
apparently, a word associated with lecherous, due to the plant that the
sweet/lolly/candy comes from was reputed to be an aphrodisiac). Our
Macquarie dictionary favours licorice but accepts liquorice. The
spellchecker on my email software prefers the latter! Ain't English grand!

Judith