AW: Tough Guide: warning

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Nov 15 10:33:24 EST 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 03:30:29PM +0100, Belben Philip wrote:
> > Guard them with your life.  DWJ herself has no copy of the original,
> > I don't think, because she gave it to her son (for which read, he
> > wanted it so much that he got it); and she didn't even know there
> > had *been* a hardback, because she never saw one.  She thought it
> > came out in paperback only, both sides of the Atlantic.
>
> Yes, both mine are paperback.  Whoever has a hardback should _definitely_
> guard it with his/her life.

I did a quick search on abebooks.com and found the old hardcover
quite easily:
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bx=off&sts=t&ds=30&bi=h&an=diana+wynne+jones&tn=the+tough+guide+to+fantasyland&sortby=2

You can also try used.addall.com:
http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/RefineRare.fcgi?start=0&id=041115073103775648&dispCurr=USD&inTitle=the+tough+guide+to+fantasyland&inAuthor=diana+wynne+jones&inDesc=&exTitle=&exAuthor=&exDesc=&match=Y&&order=PRICE&ordering=ASC

So if you're really determined, you can probably order a used one,
although the price range is HUGE: $15 - $100 (US).
If you're more patient you could probably find it in a used bookshop,
which is how my Dad found my copy for me, and surely paid less than
$10 (Canadian).

Allison