AW: AW: Tough Guide: warning

Belben Philip Philip.Belben at eon-engineering.com
Mon Nov 15 09:30:29 EST 2004

> (The altered illustrations)
>>Oh, no!  Half the fun of Tough guide is encountering an unexpected
>>illustration and thinking "Where on Earth did she find _that_?"
>>(Possibly my only complaint is that the sources weren't acknowledged)
>
> I think that was because they were not known, as it were.  There are
> books of Victorian and Edwardian illustrations that are no longer in
> copyright, for people to use as filler illustrations, and I think
> they all came from one of those.

Oh, I see.  Some of them have quite a long pedigree, though.  The picture of
a dragon with stunted wings is so similar to one in a book on Somerset
dragons I got recently that I am convinced that one is copied from the
other.  ISTR Somerset Dragons acknowledges a 16th century source, but I
can't check until I get home.

>>> Some of the marginal symbols are in the wrong places, thus losing the
>>> point of those as well.
>>Some of those I thought were silly.  But in the wrong places, they're
>>_all_ silly.  Gah!
>
> Some of them were silly; that was part of the joke, that they should
> be faintly absurd, as that sort of symbol is in for instance a
> hotel-guide: the rocking-horse that means "we have a playroom for
> children", and so on.

Oh yes, I got that.  It's things like the symbol that accompanies any
reference to music.  It looks vaguely like that awful stylised lyre that you
see on cheap music stands and things, but closer examination shows it to be
a coctail glass.

>>Next you'll be telling us that _They_ messed up the gnomic utterances
>>as well....
>
> erm...  Well, they have lost the lovely Illuminated Capitals at the
> top of each section, and used some ordinary any-computer-has-it sort
> of ornamental font instead; they have done away with the uncial
> faux-7th-century font and used one of the less attractive sans-serif
> standard ones, and they have failed to notice that the majuscule "d"
> in the original font is the same as a minuscule one ... well, no,
> because they have given "Doras" a capital initial, but they haven't
> given "Death" one, in the same Gnomic Utterance, which is just so
> crass an error that I think the person who made it should be
> pummelled to death using an organic carrot.  (I am trying to find
> out who it was who produced this Thing if it wasn't Jo, so that I
> can take Steps.)

Hmm.  Yes, those knotwork capitals were fun.  The font for the utterances
themselves always struck me as Irish, rather than ancient.

But Minnow, are you losing touch?  _All_ the majuscules in that font are
simply larger versions of the minuscules!

>>(I have two copies of Tough Guide.  One very battered that I bought
>>new, and one in quite good condition that I picked up secondhand when I
>>saw how battered my first edition was.)
>
> Guard them with your life.  DWJ herself has no copy of the original,
> I don't think, because she gave it to her son (for which read, he
> wanted it so much that he got it); and she didn't even know there
> had *been* a hardback, because she never saw one.  She thought it
> came out in paperback only, both sides of the Atlantic.

Yes, both mine are paperback.  Whoever has a hardback should _definitely_
guard it with his/her life.

Philip.