AW: Tough Guide: warning

Belben Philip Philip.Belben at eon-engineering.com
Mon Nov 15 03:02:48 EST 2004

> For some reason I can't begin to fathom, since all the illustrations
> in the original as far as I know were public domain and so won't have
> been copyright to the first edition, somebody has been employed and
> presumably paid to do Original Illustrations; they are nothing like as
> good, and lack the charm and humour of the ones that were there before
> (though there are -- mercifully -- a lot fewer).   Another somebody

Oh, no!  Half the fun of Tough guide is encountering an unexpected
illustration and thinking "Where on Earth did she find _that_?"  (Possibly
my only complaint is that the sources weren't acknowledged)

> has been employed to re-draw the map and re-name much of it, thereby
> completely missing the point (I assume he didn't notice what it was
> that he was re-doing) and also missing out Gna'ash -- even if it *was*
> called Gan'ash in the paperback, that was better than nothing at all.

Oh, no! again.  I _loved_ that map!  The Bay of Dogs, and all the river
anagrams, and...  Pity the name "Sea of Canispa" wasn't attached to the
(sadly absent) Caspian, but...

Who did the map originally, do you know?  Was it DWJ herself?

> Some of the marginal symbols are in the wrong places, thus losing the
point of those as well.

Some of those I thought were silly.  But in the wrong places, they're _all_
silly.  Gah!

Next you'll be telling us that _They_ messed up the gnomic utterances as
well....

Philip.

(I have two copies of Tough Guide.  One very battered that I bought new, and
one in quite good condition that I picked up secondhand when I saw how
battered my first edition was.)