Tough Guide: warning

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sun Nov 14 19:22:13 EST 2004

I'm sorry if this offends anyone here who had to do with the production[1],
but I most strongly advise anyone who is after a copy of this work to go on
looking for the 1996 paperback, for all that the new edition is hardback
and a convenient size for the pocket when you go Questing.  I felt that
people ought to be warned.

For some reason I can't begin to fathom, since all the illustrations in the
original as far as I know were public domain and so won't have been
copyright to the first edition, somebody has been employed and presumably
paid to do Original Illustrations; they are nothing like as good, and lack
the charm and humour of the ones that were there before (though there are
-- mercifully -- a lot fewer).   Another somebody has been employed to
re-draw the map and re-name much of it, thereby completely missing the
point (I assume he didn't notice what it was that he was re-doing) and also
missing out Gna'ash -- even if it *was* called Gan'ash in the paperback,
that was better than nothing at all.  Some of the marginal symbols are in
the wrong places, thus losing the point of those as well.

I am told that the author's careful proof-reading and correction of the
typographical errors that had crept in during this new production were
totally ignored, and all the errors she asked to have corrected are still
present.

It's a great shame.  I had planned some of those as presents for the
deserving, and now have to find something else to give instead rather than
short-change my friends by giving them something that is not up to standard
(the word that sprang to mind was "shoddy").

Sadly Disappointed[2] Minnow

[1] Actually, that's not true.  I am *not* sorry for being rude about this.
If anyone here is offended, on account of having been (ir)responsible for
the mess-up, let him or her now explain why this footling folly!  It can't
have been for reasons of cost, because the piffle cost more, I assume, than
using a map of Europe turned upside-down and out-of-copyright
illustrations.

[2] and angry