Wizard's Den: Spellbinding Tales of Magic and Magicians

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 8 19:24:45 EST 2004

The following is from the Locus website;

http://www.locusmag.com/index/yr2001/t23.htm

The Wizards’ Den: Spellbinding Stories of Magic and
Magicians ed. Peter Haining (Souvenir Press
0-285-63628-6, Nov 2001, £9.99, 255pp, hc, cover by
Antony Wootten); Anthology of 15 fantasy stories,
intended for a young-adult audience. Authors include
John Wyndham, Joan Aiken, and Philip Pullman.
9 • The World of Wizardry • Peter Haining • in, 2001
21 • Professor de Lara and the Twopenny Spell
[Professor de Lara] • E. Nesbit • ss
33 • School for the Unspeakable • Manly Wade Wellman •
ss Weird Tales Sep ’37
48 • The Demon Headmaster [Demon Headmaster] • Gillian
Cross • ex New York: The Oxford University Press, 1982

55 • Ghostclusters [Mr. Majeika] • Humphrey Carpenter
• nv, 1989
80 • Grimnir and the Shape-Shifter [from The
Weirdstone of Brisingamen] • Alan Garner • ex London:
Collins, 1960; consists of Chapter 9 (“St. Mary’s
Clyffe”) and the first paragraph of chapter 10.
94 • Dark Oliver • Russell Hoban • ss The Observer
Magazine
108 • Finders Keepers • Joan Aiken • ss, 1965
128 • The Dabblers • William Harvey • ss The Beast
With Five Fingers, J.M. Dent, 1928
142 • The Magic of Flying • Jacqueline Wilson • ss
152 • Chinese Puzzle • John Wyndham • nv Argosy (UK)
Feb ’53
181 • The Wish • Roald Dahl • ss, 1948; Someone Like
You, Knopf, 1953
188 • Invisible Boy • Ray Bradbury • ss Mademoiselle
Nov ’45
202 • My Name Is Dolly • William F. Nolan • ss
Whispers VI, ed. Stuart David Schiff, Garden City, NY:
Doubleday, 1987
208 • Something to Read • Philip Pullman • nv Point
Horror, ed. A. Finnis, Scholastic UK, 1994
227 • Carol Oneir’s Hundredth Dream [Chrestomanci] •
Diana Wynne Jones • nv Dragons & Dreams, ed. Jane
Yolen, Martin H. Greenberg & Charles G. Waugh, Harper
& Row, 1986

Jon

--- Charles Butler