Fire and Hemlock again (much trimmed)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri May 21 19:23:27 EDT 2004

Minnow said...

> >Laurel's men never get entirely free (look at Thomas the Rhymer).
>
> Tom o'Bedlam too.

Tom O'Bedlam?  Now, I'd never seen *him* as being one of Laurel's - and
taking a look back at the ballad, still don't see it as terribly likely.
Unless it's describing his state of mind *after* she casts him out?  Do,
please, explicate your thinking on this!  I'm not seeing more than a rather
contrived connection on this one (though I grant that some of the
connections *I* made may have seemed contrived to others!), and would love
to hear the reasoning that connects Tom O'Bedlam to Tam Lin and Thomas the
Rhymer.

(Damn, I love F&H so much; besides being brilliant in its own right, it
sparks such amazing discussions!)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
-Wm. Shakespeare, "Macbeth".