Fire and Hemlock again (much trimmed)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri May 21 17:40:06 EDT 2004

Dorian wrote:

>What else might
>have broken that particular contract?  Would *just* the book have done it?
>I'm personally inclined to think not, though of course it's pretty much
>impossible to say for sure.

There is also mention of the picture called *Fire and Hemlock*, right at
the beginning, and I thought it was the combination of the two that jogged
Polly's memory and that one of them on its own wouldn't have been enough.

I'll go along with the rest of your thoughts on the picture, but I think
that first appearance is important.

>Laurel's men never get entirely free (look at Thomas the Rhymer).

Tom o'Bedlam too.

Minnow