Caroline Stevermer books - pretty much totally OT

Thu May 20 12:27:50 EDT 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004 09:46:01 +1200, Elizabeth Evans wrote:

>When the King comes home
>and
>A Scholar of Magics
>
>I've read 'A College of Magics' - is Scholar a sequel? And has anybody read
>these who feels up to commenting on them?

_When the King Comes Home_ never really grabbed me, and I didn't finish it.
I just read _A Scholar of Magics_ a few days ago.  As Irina says, it's only
a sequel in the loosest sense.  Not only that, but it's a different kind of
story than _College_ and I think trying to read _Scholar_ as a sequel might
be disappointing.  It's an interesting book on its own, and the magic is
very clever.  I thought the plot was pretty obvious (i.e. who the bad guys
were) but it wasn't annoyingly so...none of that "Don't go into the cellar
alone!" horror-film obviousness.  It's also a good extension of the ending
of _College_, exploring some of the results of the magical restructuring as
it affects the rest of the world, particularly England.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum from Irina.  Stevermer is a very good
writer, particularly when it comes to creating a richly detailed world and
considering the cost of magical power.  But there's something about her
books that leaves me cold--essentially, I never feel comfortable enough in
her world to truly love her books.  I think she and I have different ideas
about how people achieve happiness and fulfilment, at least as far as I can
tell from the four and a half books I've read--they're fairly consistent.
That's my personal reaction to her books.  In an objective sense, I think
the most recent one at least is worth reading, especially if you've liked
any of the others.

Melissa Proffitt