Ending of eight days of Luke - SPOILERS

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sat May 15 14:38:45 EDT 2004

From: JOdel at aol.com

> Does this kind of thing happen a lot in children's fiction?

>It did back when DWJ wrote that one. Classic way to get rid of nasty
people. (Everyone you dislike is baaaaad.) Was Matilda published before 8DL
or after? My impression is that they came out around the same decade.

I haven't checked, but I've got Matilda down in my mind as early eighties -
anyway, I'm fairly sure 8DL is earlier.

We don't know David's exact circumstances (I don't remember his parents
being mentioned at all), but it would be normal if he'd been orphaned for
his guardians to have been given access to enough of his inherited money to
look after him, I think.

Harry Potter's an interesting example because from what I've heard his
parents left him a *lot* of money - but put it in the magical equivalent of
a Swiss bank account where his guardians couldn't get at it. Does JKR tell
us if or how the Dursley's are being recompensed for their expenses in
bringing him up? If they're not, perhaps that explains their anti-Harry
animus!

Charlie