The Fat Wizard

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Sat May 15 13:32:15 EDT 2004

> I believe that "The Fat Wizard" was distributed to the members of Apanage
> (an APA on children's literature) many years ago, I think when DWJ was a
> member?  JOdell, do you remember this? [There's a copy of it in my house
> somewhere, she said, scrabbling madly among the bookcases - it was a charming little
> booklet, with color illuminations...]

Actually the history here predated my return to Apanage (I was inactive for
14 years, before fighting my way back up the waitlist from Hell).

DWJ had been an honorary member for a time during the period I was away, but
dropped out about the time I got back. However, at one point during the
previous editor's tenure there had been a "festshrift" in his honor, and a number of
the members had made special contirbutions to it. DWJ had contributed a xerox
of the story from a previously published source.

Some time after my return (a year or two later iirc) I had finished up a
project of my own and discovered that I *liked* designing books and, decided to
put together something as a Christmas mailing for the membership, managed to
find an address and wrote DWJ for permission to use the text for the limited
mailing. I sent her a copy as well.

It was a couple of weeks after I sent them out that I discovered that there
had been a layout glitch on the next to last page where something had conspired
to let the last line in the text box get behind the page decoration and hide
itself. I had only just started working in InDesign, after using PageMaker for
years and was still making fairly elementary blunders.

I corrected the file, but never did a reprint.