Ending of eight days of Luke - SPOILERS

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sat May 15 03:55:50 EDT 2004

I just finished Eight Days of Luke - my very last DWJ novel! Till Conrad's
Fate, that is. I must admit I was surprised by the ending, which....

... had David's cousin, uncle and aunt suddenly turn out to be crooks and
skip the country, allowing him to move in with Astrid. Unpleasant as Ronald,
Bernard and Dot were, there had been no hint of criminal tendencies
heretofore. Was it simply a way of getting around the fact that, as next of
kin, they would have needed to give their permission for him to move out? It
didn't work for me, anyway.

It also struck me how very similar this device was to the one used at the
end of Roald Dahl's *Matilda* to get rid of Matilda's unpleasant family and
allow her to move in with Miss Honey. (Another parallel, not quite exact:
David's relatives had been spending money to which he was entitled; Miss
Trunchbull had been doing the same to Miss Honey.) Does this kind of thing
happen a lot in children's fiction?

Charlie