Howl and Bowie

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Fri May 14 07:32:27 EDT 2004

Ika wrote:
> I think Jon is right that the young Bowie couldn't actually
> *act* Howl, but leaving that aside it would be a really interesting
> casting choice. It would play up the dimension of Howl as 'heartless'
> - damaged and slightly alien - and give the whole thing a more
> sinister feel than Sophie's matter-of-fact POV allows for. Which
> would be interesting to see.

You gave me an image of Howl-as-played-by-Bowie-in-Labyrinth- cool, amused, sinister, manipulative- which is probably how I'll see him from now on! But I think that's what he'd *like* to be seen as, but really he's too human even without his heart (although "damaged and slightly alien" is right).

An interesting point about Howl and Calcifer being almost two sides of the coin- they must know each other better than anyone else does, too, I'd think.

Jennifer