Spitting tintacks, plus quiz

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri May 14 07:13:06 EDT 2004

Ven wrote:

>I couldn't come up with an answer when someone
>asked which character I most identified with so
>I'm really intrigued by the idea of doing the
>quiz. Some days I feel like a Quack though.......

On the way back from Joan Aiken's memorial service in London yesterday DWJ
whiled away the motorway boredom by working her way through the "answers"
for Awful, Quentin, Catriona, Fifi, Erskine, Archer, Shine, Dillian,
Torquil, Hathaway and Howard, which ought to please Aimee!  25 down, 62 to
go, on the list of characters provisionally chosen for inclusion.

>Minnow
><DWJ says "Oh, well *done*, Ven!"  Apparently AG
>was deliberately aimed at
>1984 and *Nineteen Eighty-Four*, and she's been
>waiting ever since for
>anyone to notice.  Big grin appears.>

Ven:
>Amazed and pleased, surely I can't have been the
>first! I'm not sure I could face re reading 1984,
>it left an indelible impression of grimness, but
>I think I will seek out The Napoleon of Notting
>Hill. I seem to have missed Chesterton and this
>is not the only list that wants to nudge me into
>reading him.

You may not have been the first, but you were the first whose noticing it
was told to DWJ, so you get the credit.

I think that some of Chesterton is splendid stuff, though his political and
religious standpoints are not everyone's cup of tea nowadays (nor when he
was alive either come to that).  I enjoy reading his poems as well as his
prose, but again not everyone is going to like what some of them are about.

Minnow