Howl and Bowie

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu May 13 16:36:29 EDT 2004

--- Charles Butler
<hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
> I know that Howl-casting is an occasional hobby of
> some members of this list, so I wondered what you'd
> make of Alice K. Turner's suggestion in the New York
> Review of Science Fiction that Howl is 'a Byronesque
> figure (rather like the young David Bowie)'?
>
> Charlie

Yes I can see that, certainly as the image he tries to
project of himself, it all goes with the blackening
name stuff, and I can see a young David Bowie as that
sort, but Howl is a bit more complicated than that and
I don't that that a young Bowie was quite the actor to
get that complexity. I loved him in Man Who Fell to
Earth and always thought that the suggested casting of
him as Michael Valetine Smith in the projected
Stranger in a Strange Land was perfect.

Jon