Fantasy starter pack

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Thu May 13 11:25:32 EDT 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 12:03:45PM +0100, Rosie Hopkins wrote:
> I have a friend who used to despise fantasy somewhat (apart from
> Tolkien), but someone lent her Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen, and she
> loved them. Now she wants me to find her good modern fantasy. I have
> some ideas, but can anyone suggest things I might have missed? There
> must be one or two DWJs, of course, but which? I thought also one of
> Robin Mckinley's books, and perhaps A Wrinkle in Time. They need to be
> things available in the UK.

I'd pick the Blue Sword or Spindle's End by Robin McKinley. (or both!)
For DWJ, I'd probably select some of the more "adult" ones like
A Sudden Wild Magic or Deep Secret. I'm also particularly partial to
Power of Three and The Ogre Downstairs. I'd also pick something
by Patricia McKillip (maybe The Changeling Sea ?), The Singing
Stone by O.R. Melling, and A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin.

I think those should all be available in the UK.o

Allison
--
I'm too young to buy a lifetime supply of Ovaltine.