Fantasy starter pack

Rosie Hopkins rosieburroughs at yahoo.com
Thu May 13 07:03:45 EDT 2004

I have a friend who used to despise fantasy somewhat (apart from
Tolkien), but someone lent her Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen, and she
loved them. Now she wants me to find her good modern fantasy. I have
some ideas, but can anyone suggest things I might have missed? There
must be one or two DWJs, of course, but which? I thought also one of
Robin Mckinley's books, and perhaps A Wrinkle in Time. They need to be
things available in the UK.

Thanks,
Rosie