DWJ Quiz -- Who's Running Your Town

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue May 11 14:15:03 EDT 2004

Ven said...

> Rosie replies
> <Well, q14 does require some knowledge of schools of criticism which I
> do not possess (I guessed); but as it has been made clear to me in
> previous discussions that I am the only ignoramus on the list, it
> probably doesn't matter. It was fun anyway!>
>
> Hey! I was mostly bluffing -- I just put that
> question in because of Quentin and the
> structuralists.

And I answered "Comparative Mythology" to that one on the grounds that it
was the only one I knew anything at all about. :-)

> Dorian said
>  <We have a very pesky ice-cream van that comes
> around at all hours of the day
> and night, all year round, playing "Teddy-Bears
> Picnic" and driving us nuts.>
>
> If it is coming round all night then I would have
> a strong suspicion that ice cream is  not all it
> sells. One of Shine's I daresay.

Well, I have to now admit that the latest I've *noticed* it was about 9pm.
On the other hand, why it comes around at all in the middle of winter is
beyond me.  You may be right about Shine; this is, after all, a somewhat
rough area (though not as bad as some!).

> I think this was partly
> because the  "future" of 1984 is the present of
> now. And while I'm on the subject the fact that
> AG was first published in 1984 is interesting is
> it not?

You know, I never noticed that before.  Interesting indeed!

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"The tygers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction."
-William Blake, "Proverbs of Heaven and Hell"