Flapjack recipe

Thu May 6 11:46:18 EDT 2004

On Mon, 3 May 2004 20:37:43 -0700 (PDT), Ven wrote:

>mention this mainly because I wonder if anyone
>else has ever had Instant Postum, a near
>tasteless drink that i susopect my Nana developed
>a taste for during the war as a coffee
>substitute.

Postum is the pseudo-coffee beverage of choice for Mormons who aren't
allowed the real thing.  Jacob grew up with it because his mom drank it.  I
think we have a jar in the back of a cupboard somewhere.  I'll stick with
the Cadbury's, thanks.

Mormon history is full of weird caffeine-free beverages that the early Utah
pioneers, desperate for something hot to drink, made from the local flora.
They tried steeping almost every growing plant they didn't recognize in
hopes of finding some wonderful drink.  It never worked.

Melissa Proffitt