Flapjack recipe

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon May 3 20:44:36 EDT 2004

--- Judith Ridge <Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au> wrote:

> > Damper is type of bread made over a camp fire,
> > traditionally cooked in a billie (is that an
> > Australianism or does everyone know that term?)
>
> You cook damper in a billy? We always just cooked it
> in the ashes. Billies
> are for making tea ‹ hot and very strong and black
> with a generous spoonful
> of sugar. And don't forget to swing it 360 degrees!

No, I've never used a billy, always alfoil, or just in
the ashes, I was speculating there about how it may
originally have been done (I'd forgotten about just
bunging the dough in the ashes and brushing them off
when it was done - doubtless why we welcomed the use
of foil). Ahh those days in the scouts. Jaffles were
another favorite.

Jon