Flapjack recipe

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon May 3 16:59:43 EDT 2004

--- Otter Perry <ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com>
wrote:

> On Monday, May 3, 2004, at 07:10 AM, Aimee Smith
> wrote:
>
> > (stunned amazement at discovering flapjacks aren't
> pancakes)
> > Sounds like Anzac biscuits to me!
> > Maybe the difference is that you can do thin and
> hard anzac biccies
> > too?
> > Aimee, an Aussie with little experience in the
> kitchen, but whose
> > family
> > loves 'em.
> > (I'm also a non-patriot, I don't like them... I
> thought they were a
> > national
> > food or something. Like damper or vegemite... the
> things you learn!)
>
> What's damper?

Damper is type of bread made over a camp fire,
traditionally cooked in a billie (is that an
Australianism or does everyone know that term?) a
recipie I got from a website has the following
ingrediants

2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tespoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk

when I was in the scouts we used self raising flour,
salt and water and cooked them in foil, or twisted the
dough around a stick and cooked that over the coals of
a fire. Originally the ingredients would have been
flour, bicarb and water or even beer.

Jon