Flapjack recipe

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Mon May 3 11:37:04 EDT 2004

Aimee

> (stunned amazement at discovering flapjacks aren't pancakes)
> Sounds like Anzac biscuits to me!
> Maybe the difference is that you can do thin and hard anzac biccies too?

They are a *bit* like Anzac biscuits, but thicker and chewier (if made
properly - see Minnow's comments). But the only Anzac
biscuits I've had may be the thin and hard kind... I'd wanted to try them
for
ages after reading Mahy's *Underrunners* and when two Kiwis set up a cafe in
my street I got my chance. I liked them quite a lot, not as much as a good
flapjack but considerably more than a bad one. The only trouble with
flapjacks, if you're buying them in a cafe, is that you can't tell just by
looking how old they are, and it makes a LOT of difference. Best make your
own.

Charlie