Golden syrup, and other-sorts-of-flapjack

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon May 3 09:41:01 EDT 2004

Widdy was misled!

>Thanks! I can get those. In fact, I've got molasses on my shelf waiting
>for something to be done with it!

No, don't: it isn't molasses really.  Or at least, do, because they may be
delicious, but don't think that they're like the flapjacks in the recipes
Charlie and I have posted, because they won't be.

In another list, I think it was established (after I cruelly introduced the
notion of the Golden Syrup Doorstep last year) that the American equivalent
of Golden Syrup is Golden Syrup imported from England.

To quote a couple of replies to someone's suggestion that

>a light-colored molasses (Golden Syrup)

"Oh, but it's not!! I know it's made from sugar (cane or beets?), and
I do love molasses in any color, but Golden Syrup, which is required
for many English recipes, is, well, like a spoonful of smooth, clear
butterscotch, only purer somehow. My children and I don't indulge
often, but it's always there on the shelf and I'll take a spoon over
a doorstep any day:o)"

and

"Imported English Golden Syrup can be obtained in gourmet food stores in
Chapel Hill, NC.  If you nag your local food-merchant, I'm sure
that he can find a way to stock it!"

In the end one of the English list-members sent a tin of the stuff over to
America to the lady who had originally asked about it, and she wasn't sure
whether to be grateful or not, because she said it was both unobtainable
where she lived and utterly addictive.

I would not have dared to try to send it through the postal system.  If it
got out of its tin, one could lose an entire sorting-office to stickiness.

Charlie, it may have been *very* *unkind* to mention this particular
comestible on a list some of whose members are not living where it is easy
to obtain.  :-(  Just as American recipes that include cooking chocolate
used to be very unfair on the British, because the cooking-chocolate those
recipes meant could only be bought in Harrods Food Hall, and cost a small
fortune.  I once had to travel from Totnes, Devon to London and back just
to get that chocolate for a cookie-deprived American who needed it for the
recipe her mother taught her for chocolate cookies.

Come to think of it, this may explain why a "flapjack" in places other than
Britain is not the same thing: if one can't get hold of one of the
ingredients, it would be difficult to make a British flapjack.

Minnow