Flapjack recipe

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon May 3 07:59:36 EDT 2004

Charlie offered:

>Original Flapjacks

to which I would like to add:

Practical Flapjacks:

>Prep and cook time: Up to 30 mins
>
>Serves: 8

Serves any number, depending on hunger and circumstances and size of
available tin!

>Ingredients
>50g butter
>25g demerara sugar
>25g golden syrup
>50g rolled oats
>50g original muesli

If you insist, but yer true flapjack has no faldelals and fancy kickshaws
such as nuts or raisins or cherries.  You can add those if you feel you
must, but they are not necessary.

Find a square baking tray that will fit into your oven and is at least ten
inches square by one inch deep (bigger is better).(try the tin you use for
making roast potatoes for fifteen people, or the one you use for the
Christmas or Thanksgiving turkey, if that happens to be square).

Fill the tin with rolled oats to a depth of just over half an inch.

Decant the oats into a paper bag or onto your scales, and weigh the oats.

Then more-or-less follow the instructions Charlie gives, using half as much
hard margarine (or butter if you feel rich, but marge actually works
*better* for this, to my surprise) as oats and a quarter as much each of
dem. sugar and golden syrup as oats.  (OK, by weight it goes 1 unit sugar,
1 unit syrup, 2 units marge, 4 units oats, is the easy way to express it, I
suppose.)

That way the mixture fits into the tin neatly and the flapjacks won't be
too thin: they meed to be at least half an inch thick or they won't be
properly squidgy, and a dry flapjack is a sad thing.

>Method
>Preheat the oven to 190ƒC, 375ƒF, Gas Mark 5.

Check before you start that your saucepan is large enough to take all the
ingredients.  Otherwise do the melting in a saucepan and then pour the
marge/syrup/sugar mix over the oats in a large bowl.

>Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add in the remaining ingredients, mix
>well.

All except the oats!  Add those once the syrup and sugar are hot too,
because being hot makes the syrup runnier and then it's easier to mix the
oats in.

Stir with a strong wooden spoon to do the mixing.  By the time its done,
the mixture will be cool enough to touch, as a rule.

>Spread the mixture into a 18cm shallow square tin.

And tamp it down well, particularly at the edges, which want to go down
slightly rather than up, otherwise the edge burns.  Don't try to be elegant
about this: use your hands and then lick them afterwards,  You're going to
get flapjack mixture all over you and the surrounding scenery anyway so you
might as well relax to it and go with the flow.  There is no known way to
get flapjack mixture off a spoon and make it behave in an orderly way
except with your own bare hands.

>Place in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown in
>colour.
>
>Remove from the oven, mark into 8 fingers and leave to cool in the tin
>before removing.

When you take the tray out of the oven, mark the contents at once into
about the size and shape of *expensive* fish-fingers -- not the measly
"economy" sort.  3x10 cm if you have metric fish, I suppose.  Cut right
down to the bottom of each slice, don't just "mark" them or you may need an
electric carving knife to get them apart once they have cooled and set
hard.  If you try to take them out of the tin when they are hot they may
fall apart along lines you hadn't planned, but you need to ease them out in
blocks of six or eight once they are cool enough to touch, and cut them
apart properly at that point.  Then leave them to cool completely on a mesh
of some sort such as the grill-pan or if you happen to have one the thing
you cool cakes on.

Trying to eat a hot flapjack can be a mouth-searing experience.  Warn any
nearby children of this fact.

I suspect that when cool, they would last a very long time, and they make
good "iron rations" for camping or sailing or other such activity, but they
never have a chance in our family to get old, they are gone within two days
at the latest unless I hide some of them in a tin in a non-food-item
cupboard underneath something else.

It happens that with the size of baking try I have available, what used to
be a 1lb jar of golden syrup is the right base-unit for flapjacks (500g),
which is most convenient of life just for once.  One jar of syrup means
that you can pour it straight into the saucepan and don't have to try to
weigh the syrup on its own, which is a truly Paddington Bear experience.

And seeing it's a Bank Holiday and the troops are going for a walk and will
come home hungry for tea, I think I might just wander downstairs and check
whether I have any marge in the house or whether I shall have to use
butter.  :-)  Gili, you're a menace to the waistline!

Minnow