totally off topic, help with British food

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Sun May 2 22:58:34 EDT 2004

Help needed from speakers of the Queen's English. When a book by a British
author refers to "flapjacks", in particular, "cherry flapjacks", what
exactly is the food referred to? I always thought flapjacks were a type of
pancake, the yeasty thick kind as opposed to the paper-thin crepe-y ones,
but I'm not sure this is appropriate in context of the passage I'm trying to
translate right now. All the other foods listed are classic picnic foods -
who would bring pancakes to a picnic? They don't keep well enough. Or am I
overlooking something?

Many thanks, I have high expectations from this mailing list (which in the
past has provided me with recepes for blood-pudding and spotted-dick, and
sent me a whole packet of sherbert lemons in the mail!)