William Mayne update

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sat Mar 27 15:49:26 EST 2004

Otter wrote:

>On Saturday, March 27, 2004, at 10:44 AM, deborah wrote:
>
>> Does anybody read Alice any differently just because Alice Liddell was
>> the object of the author's gaze?  I don't, but that might just be me.
>
>I don't, but I had Alice read to me when I was so young that it doesn't
>occupy a vulnerable position.

Nor do I, and so did I.

>Also, I can believe that Dodgson [sp?] never _did_ anything.  Nobody
>seems to think nowadays that people can have peculiar passions
>without doing anything about them, but they can, particularly if their
>society doesn't allow for them.

I had understood that he was never actually alone with the children he
photographed; that he was in fact very careful to make sure their mothers
or some other female adult were always present.  This may be a calming
myth, of course, but it seems quite likely given the mores of that society.

Minnow