William Mayne update

Ika blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Sat Mar 27 13:35:35 EST 2004

Sallyo asked:

> How do you think this impinges on his work as a writer? Before this, he
> was
> much admired (even if not read a lot lately). Do you think there will be
> some revisionist readings and hasty droppings of his stuff from
> collections
> now? Or will his work continue to be esteemed? Lord Byron did some pretty
> weird stuff in his time, and so have other writers (Poe, etc), but their
> work is still admired. Lewis Carroll seems to have had a slightly odd
> relationship with children too.

And Deborah responded, in part:

> Does anybody read Alice any differently just because Alice Liddell was
> the object of the author's gaze?  I don't, but that might just be me.

I don't think I do either. On the other hand, I haven't been able to read
Anne Sexton's (once-)lovely, lyrical poetry about her daughters'
adolescence since I found out the daughters claim she abused them, so this
sort of information sometimes does make a difference to my reading.

I think T H White is an interesting compare-and-contrast here, because
there's a degree of parallel between the sexual cross-generational
relationship(s) in his life and the non-sexual cross-gen relationships in
his work, which doesn't seem to be the case with William Mayne or Michael
Dorris. So that makes it a little harder to distinguish between the book
and the writer, if you see what I mean.

Anyway, when THW got together with a much younger boyfriend,* he wrote to
some friends that "I have found my Wart". So the Merlin/Wart relationship
in the books could be taken as a model for a romantic relationship - at
least by the author of the books. (There's a wicked essay on this, but I
can't find my copy of it, I'm afraid. I also can't remember whether it
said exactly how old THW's partner was.)

*I don't think there's been any suggestion that this was anything other
than a loving and consensual relationship, by the way: in fact I remember
reading that THW quit teaching at prep schools because he was specifically
attracted to boys of his students' age, which I thought was admirable.
Like Otter says:

> As Pat Califia-Rice once pointed out [these are not his exact words],
> you are not responsible for [and should not be blamed for] what turns
> you on, but you are responsible for what you do about it.

So, again, the information doesn't adversely affect the way I read the
books. But I've always been slightly surprised that the information [that
the author thought the adult-child relationship could be read as romantic,
and took it as a model for his own crossgenerational relationship] hasn't
affected the *popularity* of THW's books: so maybe Mayne's books will
surprise me by going on being read and collected and canonized, too. (The
name's familiar, but I can't remember whether I've read any, so I don't
know what I think about his case myself.)

Love, Ika

--
"It's brilliant, Bernard. Really, it is. Just two really small changes.
Instead of the academic, the daughter and the journalist, perhaps it could