William Mayne update

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sat Mar 27 12:57:13 EST 2004

On Saturday, March 27, 2004, at 09:50 AM, Sally Odgers wrote:

>> Mayne to the list's attention - he's now admitted
>> the charges.
>>> Shocking. Leaves me speechless.
>
> How do you think this impinges on his work as a writer? Before this,
> he was
> much admired (even if not read a lot lately). Do you think there will
> be
> some revisionist readings and hasty droppings of his stuff from
> collections
> now? Or will his work continue to be esteemed? Lord Byron did some
> pretty
> weird stuff in his time, and so have other writers (Poe, etc), but
> their
> work is still admired. Lewis Carroll seems to have had a slightly odd
> relationship with children too.

For me I don't think it will destroy the books I enjoy.   I think it
might
matter more [to me] if he had written more about girls.  As it is, most
of the stories I like are about boys -- Earthfasts, A Swarm in May, etc.

I do have some questions I'd like to know the answers to, like
when did he stop?  Did he stop?